Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sat afternoon ...

Ah... the worst of the thunderstorms seemed to have abated and signs of life return to South Loudoun Street. I'm staffing the store until 7:00ish and then I will head out to meet John [Greater Goods' major investor and my husband] for dinner in Frederick.

My goal this evening: Send an e-mail out to local friends letting them know about this blog, the sale, and the opportunity to pre-order seeds at a discount.

Other near term goals for this week:
  • Put together a small flier and distribute at other local businesses. It's silly for me not to try to court the folks that do run errands in town. I am certain that many customers at Beauty on Broadway and the Talk of the Town still don't know about Greater Goods, right around the corner. [In the midst of writing this I had a lovely conversation with a woman who was staying at the B&B up the street. I really need to get fliers up there too!]
  • Finish reviewing the bank and credit card statements from 2007 so when I meet with Dee [my wonderful new bookkeeper, referred to me by the great women-owners of The Book Crossing] I have more to give her.

As a side note, the last couple of sales I've made today and yesterday all included merchadise that we just ordered and received this week. It's so gratifying when people end up liking what we choose.

Also, I think I get even more pleasure out of selling a $5.00 wooden bangle bracelet, or a $12 beaded necklace than a $50 piece of art. When someone buys a lower-ticket item from me, it means they didn't spend that money at Target or Wal-Mart or TJ Maxx. I certainly don't mean to besmirch those retailers -- I shop at them myself. It's just that the bracelet or necklace in my shop was crafted by an artisan in an impoverished community who got paid a fair wage for their work. So you know that your little impulse purchase is really putting your dollars to the best use. It's not like Target -- or the manufacturers of mass produced goodies -- necessarily need another $10.

Okay -- off to send some e-mails...

later luvies...

No comments: