Friday, April 11, 2008

Procrastination, Perfectionism and Plastics

It’s 10:30 on Friday night. My head is pounding after a long week. The kids are asleep and my husband is in the other room watching a comedy starring a young and handsome Paul Newman. I’m sure he would be delighted if I joined him given that he’s been traveling all week. [My husband, that is. I’m not privy to Paul’s schedule.] But, I decided that I would post once a day as a countdown to Earth Day and I am determined to do so.

Actually more of an obstacle than my being tired is my own familiar nemesis, the biggest reason I procrastinate or avoid doing anything--my perfectionism. I just spent the last hour reviewing some of the topics I’d like to post about here, and I realized that almost anything that needs to be said on almost any issue has already been said – several times. And it’s usually findable in just a matter of moments thanks to Google. So if I can’t do it first or best or most comprehensively – then why bother? At least that’s what the little devil on my left shoulder says – with quite a bit of a petty pout I might add. And then the little angel on my right shoulder takes a deep breath and reminds me, “The perfect is the enemy of the good.” And I remember that my deal with myself in all this is just to be authentically myself and that doing something is almost always better than doing nothing.

So. I want to tackle one of modern living’s most relied-upon conveniences and one of the environment’s most pernicious foes: plastic. I will not attempt to do so all in one post – especially as tired [and verbose] as I am feeling at the moment. Plastic bags have been much in the news in the last year: China recently banned free distribution of plastic bags at stores, San Francisco became the first city in the US to ban their use in grocery stores, and chic New Yorkers stood in long lines for the chance to buy $15 designer “I am not a plastic bag” totes. Then there was the spate of news about the possible danger posed by plastic baby bottles leaching the toxin bisphenol A. And, as oil continues to hover around $100/barrel, the fact that most plastic is made out of petroleum products should be of increasing concern to everyone.

But plastic is everywhere. And we use it for everything. It’s cheap and convenient. For time- and money-crunched families I imagine plastic products show up – in one form or another – many, many times during our daily routines. To change those routines and create new habits takes effort and we need to feel that such effort is justified. After all, not everyone self-identifies as a “treehugger.” However, after much reading and review, I believe that there are a handful of changes each and every one of us needs to make in terms of how we use plastics. Despite their convenience, there are some plastic products whose environmental cost is severe enough that no one can really justify their continued use.

So this Earth Day I challenge myself – and my community – to wean ourselves completely off plastic shopping bags and plastic water bottles. Additionally, I strongly recommend that people limit their use of plastic wrap and plastic containers to store foods. I also urge folks to consider paying a little more to buy trash bags that are made from recycled plastics. I will blog more in the coming days about why I recommend these changes, and how you might implement them. Finally, I will share what I’ve learned about the development of new, more earth-friendly, plastics. But now -- goodness it’s already midnight -- it’s time for bed.  

No comments: