Sunday, May 4, 2008

quick update, more on BPA

Just dashing by before bed to share two things:
  1. Absolutely lovely couple hours hosting a fair trade tea at the store for the ladies of St. James UCC. We served a variety of fair trade teas and Peace Coffee [organic, fair trade and shade-grown]. I baked a chocolate torte [using fair trade chocolate and sugar of course], and coconut macaroon meringue cookies. Karen and I made tea sandwiches [cucumber-mint, salmon-cream cheese-dill, and apricot-dijon mustard-ham]. Another local baker prepared some yummy shortbread and biscotti [and I will post a link to her biz as soon as I get back to the store and get her card.] Karen and I did the math afterwards. Even offering a 10% discount to the ladies while they shopped, the event covered its expenses and made a few dollars for the store. And it was fun. Preparing for it, setting a nice table, and of course, meeting the women and talking about Fair Trade. Of course I was completely wiped out afterwards. [I was up to midnight last night baking, and then again at 8:00 am today.] When I got home, I crawled in bed and took a nap with the baby. I think it was a successful event all the way around. And I think we'd like to try it again with other groups.
  2. Surfing the web, I came across this post cautioning folks to be very careful in searching out BPA-free products for babies and little ones. It's a good reminder that one needs to read the fine print -- even when dealing with reputable retailers.

Given that dear hubby left this afternoon for 4 days of business travel, and my to-do list for home and the store is several pages long - I really need to be head to bed.

more tomorrow. [probably...]

No comments: